Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sweet & Tangy Summer Coleslaw

I didn't like cabbage much (except sauerkraut) when I was growing up... until I combined a couple coleslaw recipes to make my favorite. The maple syrup and nutmeg make this a sweeter slaw, but the lemon juice balances it and makes a refreshing side dish.
Your kids might even eat their veggies now!

1 bag of shredded cabbage (with or without carrots)
1/3 cup of mayonaise
juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. celery seed (optional)
pinch of salt & pepper

Note: Depending on how much dressing you like on your coleslaw, adjust the amount of mayonaise.

Mix together all the ingredients except a handful of the shredded cabbage. Refrigerate and taste to check the amount of salt. Mix in the last handful of cabbage right before you serve to make sure your coleslaw is crispy.

I recommend refrigerating for at least 30 minutes before serving, allowing time for the flavors to blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment